When working with children and teens, whose voices are still developing, my primary objective is to train a well-rounded musician. I teach them how their instrument works, cross-training the voice in multiple styles, while encouraging exploration, confidence, and curiosity.
Pre-teen and teenaged singers work regularly on:
- rudiments of theory/reading music
- musicianship & aural skills
- sight singing
- acting and storytelling skills
- repertoire from both the Royal Conservatory of Music songbook series (in multiple languages)
- musical theatre or popular music repertoire, or other music according to their interest.
We also occasionally work on ensemble selections and introduce harmony singing, poetry speaking, and monologues.